Saturday, April 5, 2014

What will she become?

C loves to watch the DIY channel. LOVES IT. She prefers to watch that channel over most movies, cartoons and kids programs. Her favorite is Nic*le Curtis. She'll sit for HOURS and watch show after show. Lawn remodeling. Bathroom remodeling. Whole house renovation. Doesn't matter.

For her birthday we got her a tool belt and tool set. A real one. Not one of those rink dinky plastic sets. Sure, it's all pink, but the stuff works. I even used her tools to take apart the dishwasher recently. They do the job.

She's got some random pieces of wood outside and she'll hammer, screw, bang around for as long as we'll let her. I am fascinated by this. I am in awe of her.

Looking around I don't really see many kids with their own tools, a desire to watch the DIY and overcome with sheer joy with the prospect of building me a garden box. It's uniquely beautiful and we are doing all we can to encourage her interest.

Today we were at the hardware store to buy wood for the garden box and they were having one of those kid classes. She has been begging to go, but her slacker parents forget...often. Just our luck that today was the first Saturday of the month and build a bird feeder day.

So, we built bird feeders. C was very into it and almost split SPs thumb hammering. R lost interest in about a second and I ended up building her bird feeder. It was really fun and I hope we can remember to do that more often.

I can only imagine where this interest of C's will take her. Seems like the prospects are wide open and I am going to just sit back and enjoy watching her little mind work. Such a cool little girl.

No comments: