This morning R presented herself in the bathroom where I was getting ready full of jazzy confidence. She had dressed herself and was damn proud of it. Her picking out her own outfits has become quite a thing and today was no exception. She had discarded the shorts I picked out last night and opted for a purple pair to go with her blue and pink Minnie Mouse t-shirt. On her feet were socks that did not match and a pair of Nike's that were a size too big. Such a sense of accomplishment was evident on her face, and I just rolled with it.
Together R and I went to find C who was also getting dressed. She had not really deviated from the outfit she selected last night, but she had picked a fetching pair of black knee high boots to go with her shorts and t-shirt. She LOVES those boots. They are hand-me-downs from her friend from school. She wears them whenever she can. But today, heading to Spring Break Camp, she had to leave the boots behind and she was not to happy about it. In the end, she opted for flip flops and that seemed to brighten her mood.
I can remember having my own sense of style from a very young age. To be different was just my way and not because I was "choosing" it necessarily, it was just what I liked. Sure I may have worn black, and nothing else for years. Or had a pair of faux snake skin pants that I rocked with a lime green shirt. Chances are, no one looked like me but everyone looked at me, and that was ok.
I still like to wear socks that don't match. Black is still a color of choice in most outfits. I don't care too much about trends or any of that. I just wear what I like and what makes me feel good. I am trying to do that with my girls.
It would be real easy to try and control what they are wearing because it doesn't match or fit someones idea of "normal", but I am not going to. As long as they look appropriate and clean, it doesn't really matter to me. Like those knee high boots...can't really play safely in those shoes so I had to draw a line...but otherwise go for it. I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment