Sunday, April 27, 2008

All roads lead home

My sole purpose for going home this weekend was to take Elaine to register. I didn't realize getting there would be an adventure that left me wanting to pull my hair out.

I loaded Miss C up for another trip to Louisville on Friday and we met SP for lunch before heading out. We were just starting the drive when I realized it was time for her to eat so I decided to stop and have a relaxing feed before ever leaving town. There was no timeframe on my trip. I had no plans that evening.

So we dined amongst the shoppers at the Wh*le Foods and even stopped by the shoe store for a quick peek as Miss C does need to learn the importance of a good pair of shoes. Then, when she was asleep, we hit the road for what should have been about an hour and a half trip.

I barely made it over the bridge into KY when we got stopped due to a car being on fire and Miss C did not appreciate the lack of car movement and began to WAIL. Being the smart cookie that I am, I have learned on my travels that I can successfully maneuver the car and reach back and slightly rock the car seat. This usually lulls her right back to a pleasant slumber.

Usually.

A good 30 - 45 minutes later traffic finally got moving and she went back to sleep.

Then I had to stop for gas and that ticked her off and she began to WAIL. And she proceeded to WAIL for the next 20 minutes. So, I stopped and got her out of her car seat to change her diaper thinking that might be bothering her because we've had a touch of a diaper rash.

Now, this was not an easy task. For starters I was wearing a summer dress. I also had the seat folded down in the back to accomodate the stroller, our bags, the travel swing and 3 bags of goodies I was taking to give to Elaine who is expecting in July. So, I had to climb into the SUV and maneuver around all that crap.

I got her out, and she promptly smiled and cooed. No more WAILING.

Thinking she was satisfied with her nice dry diaper, because she was laughing and smiling and all, I put her back in her car seat and hit the road. This worked for a second and then she WAILED again.

So, we stopped AGAIN because it was time to eat since we were detained due to the car fired, getting gas and changing her diaper. I had to crawl around all the stuff again, make a bottle, get her out (where she promptly started smiling again) and feed her. We sat for a bit because she has that reflux ya know and I am supposed to hold her up right even though that never freaking works because she spits up anyway, but that's another story.

FINALLY, we were on the road again and she slept for a few miles (we were about 45 minutes from our destination at this point). Then, she started WAILING again about 20-25 minutes from our destination and didn't stop until we got there.

It took me 4 hours to get there. 4 hours. I thought I was going to lose my mind because that girl has some lungs on her.

Thankfully, the rest of my trip was great complete with a night out on the town with my friends while Granny and Rose watched Miss Cara. A beer never tasted so good. Thanks Mom.

1 comment:

USAIDAddress Unknown said...

Oh my goodness . . . I can totally sympathize with you and bet that was THE best beer EVER!! :)