Monday, March 10, 2008

Parenting



There comes a point in your life when you realize that either a) you have great parents or b) you just weren't that lucky when it came to genetics. I, thankfully, have been blessed with great parents.


I can't honestly tell you when I realized this...when my dad had his heart surgery or my mom fought breast cancer and the potential of losing them heightened my awareness? Maybe...but I think I knew way before those events. Maybe I knew it from birth. I am not sure.


What I am sure of is that I have great parents and that is evident now more than ever as I struggle with learning to be a parent myself. It's tough work and I know for a fact I didn't make it easy for them.


Today, we had to take Cara to the hospital for an ultrasound. It's tough going to the place you work, as a parent of a patient. It's tough seeing your little baby all exposed on a big hospital bed having her insides looked at. It's even tougher to not know what in the hell they are seeing on the ultrasound when they look for an obstruction that could be causing her to not gain weight and spit up all the time.


Thankfully, the ultrasound showed nothing and we will work with the doctor to figure out next steps tomorrow...but it was just another difficult day on this journey of motherhood.


And thankfully, I was surprised by my own mom who drove up from home to the hospital to be with us. She held my baby and loved on her and then held her baby and let her cry. Moms are good like that...at least mine is. Thanks Mom. I love you.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Aw, Miss. I feel for you. That must have been hard.