Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fancy dress

When she walked through the door of the funeral home, she was glowing. I could see her eyes searching the very large crowd for me. As I moved to get her attention, I noticed that she had dressed herself and I loved it.

There stood my beautiful 6 year old girl in the fanciest, sparkliest, velvetiest dress she owns. The top was black with a little rhinestone heart in the middle. The bottom was pink lace and sequins. She had picked grey tights and a pair of hand-me-down white "high heel" dress shoes that were a size too big. Around her next was a Mardi Gras bead necklace, it was Fat Tuesday afterall.

My girl was a beacon of light in an otherwise sad event. The pride on her face having gotten herself dressed up for the funeral made my heart melt. I had  told her to dress nicely though I didn't specify how nice. She took it to the max.

That's the latest change in my little girl. Her newfound interest in dressy clothes and fancy shoes is a shock to SP and I. She's always been our tennis shoes and casual clothing girl. Now she'll have a purse, and fancy shoes and the whole enchilada just to run to the grocery store. DIVA in training.

1 comment:

Dale said...

A work in progress. I'm sure she'll have many more surprises for you.