Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Here comes kindergarten

In a few short weeks Miss C will start kindergarten. I see, almost daily, her pushing towards more independence while also clinging to some of her little girl ways. She's ready for kindergarten and I think she will thrive there. I am not so ready.

As I try to help her navigate through all that is coming up, I find myself struggling with my own insecurities and apprehension about school, meeting new people, etc. Trying really, REALLY hard to not screw Cara up with my drama. My intentions are good, just sometimes old memories flair up unexpectedly from my own childhood.

Cara is an amazing little girl and it freaks me out to think something I might do will steer her down the wrong path or impact her life negatively. I try really hard to not do that but know it will happen from time-to-time.

Here's what has been going on so far school wise...

Play dates and notes
A few weeks ago Cara received a handwritten note from the principle of the school she will be attending. Short and sweet but meant a lot and helped get her excited and felt very personal.

In addition to that, they have set up some play dates where the kids can meet and interact with each other on 3 different occasions to make the transition easier. We went to the first one which was at the park and she did great. Hell, she did better than great. She jumped right in and I was so unbelievably proud of her. We'll miss the second one because work just does not always cooperate, but we will definitely make the last one. Then it'll be the real thing.

Uniforms
New school = new uniforms. I ordered these online and when they got delivered the look on Cara's face was priceless. Her eyes lit up and then she had to try everything on. I know there will come a point where the excitement of a new uniform will wear off. So for now, we are living it up.

Supplies
Initially I was going to order all the school supplies online and just have them delivered to the house. Then Dad and Sue graciously offered to buy her school supplies. They went yesterday and picked up everything but her backpack and lunch box. We'll order those special from LL Bean. Cara is a lot like me in that she loves crayons and markers and all that fun stuff. We are extremely fortunate to have Dad and Sue to this for us. Thanks!

More to come...


No comments: