Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm no doctor, but I'm the Mom Part II

In a moment of clarity SP and I realized a couple of things. One was that we didn't want to put our baby through an Upper GI if it was not necessary and the other was it seemed a better course of action to assess what we had been doing around the time Miss C started screaming her little head off.

Here's what we figured out.

1) I was not producing enough milk and our girl was hungry. Didn't figure this out until I pumped a few times and realized I wasn't even getting a full 4 ounces in one sitting.
2) The screaming and spitting up all started around the time when the nurse recommended the nipple shields.

The combination of these two things made us think that Miss C was not getting enough to eat and was taking in a lot of air with the shields. Thus, she was hungry and full of air. Not a good mix.

So, I have stopped breastfeeding all together and officially quit pumping this weekend. She is on formula full time and while things aren't 100% better, they are better than they were. I am not sure she will ever be 100% because she is a newborn and I do think she has reflux. But, WOW she is not screaming her little head off 24/7 and she is eating A LOT so I am confident that she is gaining weight.

Of course, we go for her 1 month this week (Holy shit she's a month old!) and they will assess her weight and reflux. We may still have to do the Upper GI but we may not. I am not sure how they will feel about my stopping the breastfeeding, but I feel like I attempted to feed her for close to a month as best as I could. Ultimately her getting the nourishment she needs is my primary concern and if I can't give it to her, formula will do the trick.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

I'm really sorry that breastfeeding didn't go better for you.

I wish that someone would have told you that 4 oz is a pretty damn good yield for that age. Keep in mind that you never get as much from pumping that you produce when the baby sucks.

Anyway, you gave it a shot and as long as things are working for you and for Miss C, that's the important thing.

xo