Saturday, January 5, 2008

Don't know nothin' bout birthin' no babies

Today was a yucky day with drizzle, gloomy nastiness that makes you want to just curl up with a good book and a soft blanket. Or, go to a child birth class.

Let's be honest shall we? Who wants to spend their entire Saturday at a class that shows you a women delivering a placenta and a doctor examining it? If you do, WOW! Cause that was GROSS. My approach on labor and delivery of late has been knowledge is power. Some things I'd rather have been ignorant about, but I guess it's all part of the process.

Prior to the class SP and I discussed what we thought the people would be like that were there. I thought most would be like us, sorta interested but sorta not. Then there would be at least one dad who was WAY over the top with his excitement even moreso than his wife. I also thought there'd be at least one couple where the coach or support person was not the husband or boyfriend.

Most people were like us. There WAS at least one dad who was over the top but thankfully not too obnoxious. But no mom without her husband or boyfriend. There was also the girl who was 4 cm dilated and who was told she'd deliver in the next 72 hours. She was freaking out, but I can't blame her since she wasn't due until the 20th and just went in for her routine exam.

After today, I am leaning towards going natural with my childbirth. There's likely someone out there who gasped or thinks I am nuts, especially considering that the hospital where I plan to deliver 98% of deliveries are aided by an epidural. Earlier in my pregnancy I said, give me the drugs I don't want to be super woman. But, for some reason, for me at least trying to go natural at first seems the way to go. I can always change my mind and reserve the right to.

You are probably wondering what solidified my thought that I could do it without the epidural. The main one, my husband. He talks a good game but at the end of the day we make a freakin' awesome team and today he showed me that when it came time to get down to business, we could do it together.

Now, I by no means think we are perfect or that this delivery is going to be perfect. But what I do know without a doubt is that I can think of no other person I want with me helping me breathe, relax and deliver Biscuit but him. He listened. He participated. And he knew me and how to help me as we practiced going through the different stages of labor and delivery.

So, labor and delivery, here we come.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

We went to our classes last January. Neat. I was a little freaked out by the classes. Toooooo much to see and learn and know.

As you know, I went natural but it was unplanned. I don't regret it for a minute.

xo

PS-I have a present for you sitting here. I just gotta haul myself out to the post office. Will attempt to do that this week. :)

USAIDAddress Unknown said...

After our class I felt the same way . . .who knows once the real pain comes what I'll be saying, but I'd like to see how it goes and not automatically say epidural! Good luck!