Thursday, December 13, 2007

Lost

When I told SP we needed to sign up for the hospital tour he clearly thought I was nuts. While I insisted we HAD to do it, I sorta secretly thought it was kinda stupid as well. How hard can it be to find the labor and delivery area? We are pretty smart people, I am sure we could figure it out.

Then, I went to the hospital to have my glucose test. A-MAZE-ING. I can just imagine me having contractions, freaking out and SP trying to find the damn registration area much less the labor and delivery area. It wouldn't be pretty and were it on a sitcom I am sure it would be quite comical.

What I found today when I went for the test: Parking garage with multiple entrances that take you to different "sections" of the hospital and you have to know where you are going to pick the right one. Elevators that go to only certain portions of the hospital. Take the 5th floor elevator to floor 6, walk down an unmarked hallway, then follow the yellow line on the floor to the North elevators and then go back to floor 5 which is different from the previous 5th floor you were on. Hallways that end randomly but have windows where you can see another building that you actually need to be in but are unable to figure out how to get there. Inconsistency of signage.

This is what happens when you take a building built in the 1850's and expand it. It's part old, part new, totally confusing and frustrating. By the time I made it to the newly renovated/built outpatient lab I was perturbed but I tried to be calm about it.

For the next 3 hours I drank the nastiest glucose cola that tasted like flat RC in 5 minutes, watched M@rtha Stewart, slept in a recliner, had my blood drawn 4 times in 5 attempts, felt like I might puke up the cola, watched The Price is R*ght and listened to some other pregnant girl snore as she slept in her recliner doing her blood tests. I also discovered that I should have taken the West elevator from the parking garage instead of the East because it would have saved me 10 or more minutes of wandering around trying to figure out where in the f I was.

We definitely need the hospital tour.

Not sure when I'll get the results of the glucose test but I'll let you know.

Today I feel: a baby foot, elbow, knee or something in my right side. She's a dancing queen that is for sure but in her down time she likes to hang out way over on my right side. We've discussed her moving a little and sometimes she doesn, sometimes she doesn't. That's my girl!

No comments: