
Last night, driving home from a night out with friends, we saw a PT Cruiser lose control as it drove down a ramp from one interstate to the one we were on. The roads were wet and the car was likely going too fast down the curved ramped. I crossed 3 lanes in an attempt to get us as far from that car in the event the lack of control sent it our way.
As I maneuvered away from the car we saw it leave the interstate spinning into the woods along the side of the road hitting the guard rail perpendicularly as it went. Back across the interstate I went to the emergency lane as other cars drove past obviously not seeing the car obscured by the woods, the darkness and the overpass above.
SP ran back to check on the driver of the car. I called 911. A cop happened to drive by and stopped as did another couple driving down the ramp onto the interstate. I then began to walk back to the wrecked car to tell them an ambulance was on the way.
As I walked I was trying to locate my husband among the concrete support beams from the overhead interstate and the headlights of the cop car. As I searched and walked I saw another car become airbourne and flip over the guard rail and onto the other hood of the PT Cruiser. I was screaming for my husband, in shock, and moving as fast as a pregnant girl can move on the side of the interstate in the dark and rain.
I continued to yell for SP as cars whipped by and I could not see him. The couple who had stopped met me and I continued to yell for SP and kept asking if my husband was ok. The husband part of that couple directed us behind the guard rail and away from the actual accident for fear another car would lose control.
As I tried to console the wife of that couple as she flipped out and complained of a hurt arm from her husband pulling her away from the rolling car, multiple police cars arrived, a fire truck came, ambulances arrived and an off-duty parametic showed up to help. They shut down the interstate and the ramp that had be a major factor in the accident itself.
What I did not know, was SP and the first officer on the scene were determining how to get the driver out of the PT Cruiser when the second car came. They were near that car discussing getting the driver out of the back door as the others were crushed and unable to open.
SP heard the second car coming and saw it out of the corner of his eye. He yelled to the officer to get down and pushed him to the ground as he moved out of the way of the flipping vehicle. He can't recall if the car flipped over him or directly in front of him, but it was close enough to think in that flash he'd either be pinned under the car or against a tree.
When that second car landed, it was upright and resting partially on the roof of the Cruiser. The officer was face down under the second car. From my perspective I could see none of this. I could not hear the cop screaming from under the car or see his legs twitching as SP could. I could not see my husband and that was all I cared about.
SP pulled the cop from under the 2nd car. Another officer showed up and tended to the officer as SP went to check on the driver of the 2nd car. She was screaming and bleeding from a cut on her face. Her car was covered in what looked like vomit and she had a dog at her feet. The vomit turned out to be a casserole that did not survive the rolling.
In the end, the officer ended up with a burned shoulder from the muffler, the drivers of both cars were not seriously injured and SP was thanked by another officer for helping the first officer. The newspaper and TV covered the story and got it all wrong. It's like we weren't even there. But, we were.
We drove home in shock as the interstate remained blocked. They had SPs statement, but never asked if he was ok. Physically, he was and so was I. But mentally, emotionally, we were both having different, yet similar reactions to what we had just experienced. I almost lost my husband. He almost lost his life. Our relationship took a turn where all those trivial things that had been biting at us with work and home construction and whatever else were gone in an instant.
This year, we have so much to be thankful for and this clearly put that into perspective.
1 comment:
This is an unbelievable story. Thank goodness you two were unharmed. God was with you both and has a plan for you two and your growing family! He just wanted to help use you guys to help the others that night!
Love you,
Amy
Post a Comment