Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A rose by any other name

As the reality of pregnancy sinks in just a bit I am reading more and searching online for all the latest baby items that are sure to make your child the cleanest, brightest, most liked kid on the planet. I am trying not to get too overwhelmed by all the stuff or the looming reality that everything I do now potentially impacts Biscuit.

To keep it real, I find humor in the absurd things that they “sell” to moms-to-be. Like the baby naming consultants I heard about on the radio. Did you know these existed? I didn’t. It seems rather impersonal to have a consultant name your own damn kid. Impersonal, and lazy.

We won’t be using a consultant to name our baby. I think we did a good job coming up with Biscuit. I mean Biscuit Farfsing has a nice fluffy ring to it, right?

Seriously, I guess to some the name defines the person hence all the celebrities who change their name. But that leads me to question if ma and pa baby name consultant user paid big bucks for a name, does that really guarantee them that the name will actually be used? And, does it really guarantee them a child of substance and high moral fiber? Nope. All it really promises is that they will be a) out of money, b) able to tell people they used a consultant to name their kid and c) made fun of by people like me.

Today I feel: concerned for my sister. Hot, hot, hot since our AC went out and it’s 83 degrees in this house. Hungry and tired seem to be the norm now. We are heading out to see John M*yer so hopefully I can still hang.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

This is a great site:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

It tells you the most popular names and you can ask it the popularity of any name in any year.

Choosing a name is the most fun. Biscuit is good but I kinda like

Marfsing Farfsing.

:)