Saturday, June 23, 2007

Jump board

There are many benefits to exercising while pregnant, or so every book I have skimmed thus far says. With that are these rules like keep your heart rate below 140 and don’t go horse back riding or rappelling.

Since I exercised before I have no intention of stopping unless directed so by my doctor. But now, I have all kinds of crazy things to think about that never phased me before. I experienced this earlier this week when I rode my bike for the first time since the news.

To say I was a little paranoid would be an understatement. The battery on my hear rate monitor is dead so I had no clue what my heart rate was and likely went a snails pace compared to what I normally do for fear I would cause some duress to Biscuit (Yes, Biscuit. SP and I used to joke we were going to name our kids biscuit and gravy.). While fretting about my pace I also wondered if I should be wearing my helmet. I typically don’t because there are no cars on the trail. Sure I could still wreck and whack my head on the pavement, but that helmet drives me nuts. Might need to reconsider that, and get the new battery for the monitor.

Today, that panic came during Pil*tes class. Having taught for over four years I know that you can take classes pretty much up to when you give birth with modifications. One modification is not lying flat on your back after your first trimester. I’m not there yet so I have that covered. What I couldn’t remember though was jump board. I thought it was the same as lying flat but I wasn’t 100% sure. So, when I did jump board I did a scaled down version just in case my memory was wrong. Thankfully it wasn’t.

Today I feel: hungry and thirsty.

No comments: