Today is the first official day of Summer Camp for the girls. C has been to camp before, but it's a first for R. Cross your fingers it goes well.
SP is out of town this week so I was flying solo this morning. Trying hard to keep the mood festive and upbeat after a night of C being anxious and even throwing up she was so worried about the day. Her primary worry was R and I struggled explaining to her the difference between watching her sister all day and looking out for her. Hard concept to grasp at 6 that it's the Camp's job to oversee R's safety and well being, but as family we look out for each other and have each others back.
I was tired this morning. Frazzled myself at the new experience of sending my kids to Camp. I was trying to figure out how to make it seem fun and exciting not huge and terrifying. So, this happened.
Me: Guess what your breakfast options are? (In a festive upbeat voice.) Drum roll PLEASE! (I drum on the counter.
Girls: (Stare at me like I have three heads.)
Me: Donuts, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt
C: I want to try that one thing.
Me: What one thing?
C: The drum roll.
Me: The drum roll? That isn't a thing you eat. (Demostrate drum roll again.)
R: Yeah, me too. I want to try the roll.
Me: The drum roll is a sound, not a food. You can have donuts, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt...
C: But I want that drum roll. I want to try it.
R: Me too.
This went on for about 10 minutes before I finally got them to understand that a drum roll was a sound introducing something, not a food.
No comments:
Post a Comment