Thursday, May 22, 2014

Count down to Summer

We are quickly approaching the end of the school year and the days are jammed packed with field day and picnics and graduations. My mind is swirling trying to nail down our Summer plans as this will be the first time we've had to find things for BOTH girls to do. Ideally, we'd have a Summer sitter who would stay with them but that's not in the cards this year.

I am slightly nervous about our plans and hope it works out. There will be about 6 weeks where they are at a local facility that we are familiar with that offers a kids camp. While there it's all swimming and gymnastics and play, play, play. I am worried R will be too stimulated and become a mess. C will be fine and adjust ok.

To try to ward off too much drama I have set up time each week with R's former OT to do a session mid-week. We haven't been doing OT since she started the new school in February, but I think having this one-on-one quiet time will be good for her. Crossing my fingers it works.

I honestly cannot believe that we are at this point. That by Wednesday of next week R will be out of school and by the first week of June C will be too. I get so caught up in it that I often forget to live in the moment. I am trying to do more of that. To see what is in front of me when my nature is to plan ahead and foresee what is coming. So here's a brief insight into my girls at this moment.

C
  • Soccer player who seems to have a bit of her Dad's athleticism. She seems to enjoy soccer and hopefully will continue on with it.
  • Gymnast who recently completed her first "fun meet" and did great. She really stepped it up with the older girls and we were so proud of her.
  • Gentle, mothering soul who is going to be a great care giver and mommy one day. She has such a nuturing way about her that I am trying to develop and let shine.
  • Sassy pants who is currently testing the boundaries of 6 year old life. She's got a mind of her own and not afraid to use it.
  • We've done a few play dates now with kids from her class and I am not longer worried that she isn't making friends. While her teacher felt there were issues at the beginning of the school year, I felt confident she just needed to warm up and get comfortable which she has done.
  • Hair eating/chewing is a new habit that we are trying hard to break. Not sure where that is coming from. Gross.
  • Her eyes still light up with her smile and it's contagious.
  • Forever a cuddle bug who still wants to be loved on and held. I hope that continues for a long, long time.
R
  • Gymnast who recently started back in a group class and while for many this is no big deal, for her is HUGE. Crossing our fingers it continues to go well.
  • Singer of all songs both made up and on the radio. She'll sing for hours songs that are in her head.
  • Silly, goofy girl who likes to make you laugh and her cackle is music to our ears.
  • Sensitive still and wants deep massage of her hands and feet...sometimes her whole body. The good news is now she can ask for what she feels she needs.
  • Shy and slow to warm up but once comfortable there is no stopping her.
  • Curious and smart to the point where we can't fool her anymore. She remembers more than we do.
I love my girls. I am happy to see Summer come but sad that it means they are growing up.



No comments: