Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fair and Honest

When I was in grade school I was a Brownie for like a second, then we had to sell cookies and I was out. The idea of badges and meetings and the dreaded cookie selling was not enticing enough for me to stick it out.

Now I have a little one who is a Daisy Scout (the K-1st grade version of Girl Scouts) and find myself in the middle of a cookie sale again. This time around, it's not as bad, but still not my favorite thing to do.

C really seems to be taking to the structure and concepts behind Girl Scouts. She enjoys the meetings and activities and decorating her blue vest with badges she has earned. I like that she is bonding with other girls and seeing the value of female friendships. It also is helping with her confidence which seems to be a little waining at times right now.

This week she will be earning her first daisy pedal for Lupe who teaches about being fair and honest. I got the binder out with the stories and read it to both her and R. Then we had a discussion about what it means to be fair and honest. We talked about examples of when we were and were not those things.

Since I read that story and we talked about it, it's given me something to refer back to with them. I'll say, "Remember Lupe's story? Do you think that you were being fair or honest?" Lupe has made helping them understand what's fair and honest way easier than my repeatedly telling them. Thanks Lupe.

2 comments:

MindaHoney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MindaHoney said...

Also a girl scout dropout :) - MindaHoney