Friday, October 11, 2013

Girls Night

For over 10 years now I have gotten together almost monthly with a group of amazing women I am honored to call my friends. When we all manage to show up there's nine very different, but tightly intertwined, personalities in the room. 

I used to shy away from friendships with women and surrounded myself with male friends. Guys were easier. They were not catty or competitive and did not over analyze every word, look or thought i had. For a time those friendships were what I needed and I am thankful for them. 

But now, as I approach 40, am a mom, a wife, a career woman, a jumbled mess of confusion and determination, I realize the value of great female friends. We do what I don't think woman do enough of. We are real. We are honest. We don't judge. We don't always agree. We sometimes get on each other's nerves. But we are supportive and there for each other no matter what. Good and bad. 

Tonight girls night was not the norm. All of us had at least one, if not all, of our kids with us. We did not get to connect like we typically do, but our kids did. My girls got to see me with a group of wonderful woman who are role models. They got to see what female friendships can be like, and should be like. 

I really felt blessed as I watched my girls playing with my friends kids. I felt blessed to have those women looking out for and loving my girls like their own kids. 

I hope one day R and C have as great a group of girls as I do to call friends. I hope they are that lucky. 





No comments: