Thursday, March 24, 2011

Settling in - the special book

Things are slowly starting to get back to normal. We are adjusting to our new routine, our new house and the increase in family activities. For the most part, the girls are doing well but there are still times when Miss C tells me she wants to go to her old school and her old friends or she'll talk to me about Lukas' birthday party that happened right before we moved, or mention Owen or Olivia.

This breaks my heart. It breaks my heart because I miss them too.

I know with time she will embrace her new friends like she did her old friends...she is already starting to do that now. I know that her memories will fade but the impact will be long lasting.

Still, when she asks a lot about her old school, or mentions her old friends or teachers I always pull out her "special book". The special book is a photo book made by her teacher that shows pictures of all her friends and her teachers. We sit and go through all the pictures naming each one of her friends and look at the pictures of her playing with them.

We talk about Miles who left the school to stay home with his mommy. We talk about Owen who has a booboo on his head in his photo. We talk about Kristy, Ann, Yin-Ling and Maria and what fun we had at school.

It makes me sad, but I am so thankful for that book. I think acknowledging those memories and relationships will ultimately help us both move on.

No comments: