Today as I sat watching a show on the History Channel about 9-11 I thought a lot about what was going on in my life on that day and how totally different is now.
The images on the screen saddened me just as much today as they did then. Watching those planes hit those buildings I felt so vulnerable, so unsure, so afraid, so lost all over again.
Life has a way of moving on though.
On the one year anniversary I organized a memorial at my work. I had every name of every person who was killed printed on huge sheets of paper that covered the walls of a conference room. We created a quiet space and allowed people to come and reflect, to mourn all over again. We wore red, white and blue and flew our flags at half staff. 365 days had passed and it felt like it had just happened.
On the nine year anniversary I held my girls on the sofa and if the scar was not still on my heart I may have easily let the day slip by like any other. But it's not like any other, and it never will be. My way of remembering may have changed over the years but the fact that I will never forget remains the same.
So for those in the world who wish to break us. Who wish us ill. Who think for one second we will let those people who died on 9-11 die in vain...you are wrong. I am saddened by your hatred, your anger at a people you don't know. But I am blostered by the innocence of my children and my desire to create a world that is better...for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment