Sunday, April 25, 2010

What to do when you are waiting...

Someone made a comment to me this week about how they had never met anyone in their life that disliked pregnancy as much as I do. I could go off on many directions here regarding how many inappropriate things people say to you when you are pregnant, or how quick people are to judge, or how many times I have cried during this pregnancy over things people have said that I just don't think they should say...but I won't. That's not really want I want to say, though I could go on for DAYS.

What I want to say is, you don't have to like pregnancy to love your children.

I think there are plenty of women in this world who do not enjoy pregnancy. They don't glow. They don't find it to be the most beautiful experience of their life. They throw up each and every day of their pregnancy. They are in a great deal of pain that isn't relieved no matter what they do. This just flat out dislike the experience.

The difference between myself and many of them (and what I told the person who said this to me) is that I am not afraid to say I don't enjoy it. It makes me very sad to know there are still so many women out there who feel like they can't be honest because doing so somehow equates to not loving the child you are carrying.

That is the farthest thing from the truth. I love Miss C in ways I never thought imaginable and hated every vomit-filled day of my pregnancy. I love Miss R, though I have never met her, but have not enjoyed every painful day I have carried her.

I am glad there are women out there who have wonderfully glowing pregnancies. I wish I could be in their group, but I am not. Instead, I accept who I am and how I feel. People just need to get over it if they don't agree.

No comments: