Monday, March 1, 2010

Home is where the heart is

This weekend we went home for two different birthday celebrations. One was a joint 60th birthday party for my Dad and Sue. The other was a joint 2nd birthday party for Miss C and Mia. Both were family affairs and as always coming back to Cincinnati makes me miss them even more.

One of the things that became pretty clear for me is how nice it was to go to an event and be "off duty" as a parent. I know that sounds silly but SP and I don't get a lot of down time. When we go places up here one or both of us has to always keep one eye on an active toddler and let's be honest, that's exhausting.

At both parties, there was great comfort in knowing Miss C had other eyes watching her. My parents, my sister, my niece, my cousins and aunts. My family. It was hard to turn off the Mom-mode a little at first but once I did, it really was nice. I felt like she was safe and taken care of and in turn I was safe and taken care of.

That's not to say that we don't have help here, because we do. We have great help and we rely on people like Miss Amy and Miss Katie heavily to get date nights and some downtime. But it is unmistakenly different.

No comments: