Monday, December 21, 2009

Worry

There are a lot of things I worry about when thinking about having two kids. Silly stuff mostly. But tucked in among those silly things that will all work themselves out is a true worry about Miss C.

How will our first baby girl handle the arrival of a new baby girl?

Our world revolves around her now. She is the highlight of our lives and we are thrilled beyond belief at the wonderfulness that is our Miss C. Everything we do now is because of her. Everything we do is about her and for her. She knows she is the center of our world and I am worried the adjustment to being the big sister and having to share us with someone else will be a struggle for her.

It is inevitable that things will change. We will all have to adjust but I am her Momma and I want that change to impact her as little as possible. I want to place her in a bubble and protect her from the hurt she may feel in her little heart when her Momma and her Daddy tend to her new baby sister. But I can't.

So I am trying now to help her adjust. We talk a lot about the new baby. I spend more time at the day care in the morning because she has started crying again when I leave. The routine is still the same but I do things a little slower to help her adjust to my leaving. At night I hold her longer and spend more time cuddling and talking about her day. I am also making sure she plays alone and don't interrupt her so she is comfortable occupying herself. That will be just as important as anything else.

But that mushy sensitive side of my heart just worries about her. The child beams with happiness and I want to ensure that glow never leaves her. I definitely don't want a new sibling to even slightly darken the brightness that is Miss C.

2 comments:

k said...

do you have siblings at all? I was just curious. Since Miss C is so young, chances are the adjustment will take less time. My sister and I are only 11 months apart, so I really have no memories without her. I know that I'm a better person because of my sister and I think Miss C will experience the same. Sisters are some of the most remarkable things - both good and bad. I hated mine for years, but have learned so much from her that I hope now I have 2 girls of my own (almost, sorta, at times maybe not, ha!)

Missy said...

I do have a sister who is 22 months older than me and we are SUPER close. I hope the same happens for my girls because it truly is a blessing to have a sister.