Today was a memorable one for our country, you turned 11 months old and a new President was sworn into office. I know the journey with our new African American President, a major milestone in this country, will change the landscape of your future in what I hope will be a positive way. While none of us can truly know just what exactly lies ahead, I can tell you that on this day there is a sense of fellowship unlike anything I have ever felt in my 34 years. I have high hopes for our new President and my country and great expectations that today will lead us toward a future that will be suitable for you my little girl.
Having said all that, I must say the arrival of your 11 month is having a much deeper impact on me at the moment. The realization that in one short month you will be one year old has hit me like a hammer. Where is that little baby that I was so scared of with the tiny fingers and itty bitty toes? It feels like in the blink of an eye you went from being so fragile and intidimating to being so resilient and independent.
And then I caught a glimpse of that fragile little girl this weekend when you were so sick and cuddle up close to me clinging to my clothes and looking to me for relief. When you laid your head against my chest and slowly rubbed your arm up and down my side it was like you were consoling me and telling me no matter how many months past that you will always be my baby girl.
So, here we are today, your 11 month birthday and while your eyes still show signs of illness there is also a glimmer of your spirit shining through. You are an amazingly joyful little girl and on this day filled with national and international hope I am filled with hope for you and your life.
I am sure every parent thinks their child is destined for greatness...I fulfilled my destiny when I had you. You, my baby girl, are my greatness and within you is the spirit and drive to change this world in so many amazingly positive ways. As your mom, I promise to lay before you a foundation made up of kindness, courage, virtue, service, strength, laughter and so much more and I will support you in your journey down whatever path takes you to your greatness.
Happy 11th Month!
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment