Wednesday, May 14, 2008

These are the sounds that babies make

Yesterday I went shopping at the baby superstore. I am trying to find Miss C's formula in bulk and in canisters bigger than 16 oz. This only lasts a little over a week per container and it's VERY expensive. Being a fan of bulk buying, I am on a mission. Thus far, I have been unsuccessful.

While at the store I was checking out videos for babies. I will be the first to admit that Miss C loves the TV. But it could be the weather, baseball or static and the girl would be fascinated. She's a baby and there's all kinds of colors, movement and sound coming from the TV. I would not classify that as letting her watch TV. It's on and she looks at it.

I will also be the first to admit that I am perplexed by the hype that is baby videos. Maybe I just don't get it, but do we really, REALLY need a video to tell Miss C about the seasons? Or, MAYBE we could just take her outside and let her experience it?

I know...I have this wacky notion that we, not some video, should teach her these things. She should be making baby sounds and learning to talk because we make sounds and talk to her. Not because some video is on and she is sitting there staring at it.

I felt guilty not buying any videos. I kept thinking I was in some way depriving her of some level of intelligence that all the other kids would have. But then I thought...SP and are pretty smart people. Not rocket scientists, but I'd like to think we are smarter than the average person...and DVDs weren't even around when we were babies.

So, I think Miss C will survive but EXPERIENCING life, not by watching it on the TV.

No comments: