Thursday, January 24, 2008

A little action

One of the best quotes from Steel Magn*lias is spoken by Clairee: The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.

When I first made it known I was pregnant a co-worker told me about someone they knew that said pregnancy has a way of returning us to a very animalistic state. For many of us, grasping that concept is not easy or welcomed because while our bodies are changing to accommodate the life we are brewing, it is not proper in society to take on other animalistic characteristics while pregnant.

Sure, it's more acceptable in the delivery room to howl like a wolf or scream like a cheetah but for 9 months leading up to that point you are often made to feel like embracing ALL of the animal in you, good and bad, isn't really acceptable.

I think I would feel so much better if I could get up every day and just scream. Or maybe howl or both. Scream not because I am unhappy about my pregnancy because I am not. Scream because things are stretching and moving and expanding and happening in preparation for the birth of my baby girl. What an animalistic guttural release. How freeing that sounds. Maybe tomorrow I will try it.

For now, I must tell you that the baby is dropped a bit. The cramping in my lower belly which I originally attributed to the added fiber in my diet is still there but nothing regular. Pretty constant discomfort on my right side and into my back area. We'll just see where this takes me.

Today I feel: tired and a little stressed about work.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I think it sounds fun to wake Mike up by howling each morning. I'll get on all fours and peer over him, then howl. Won't that be fun?!!