Being the ultra-cool parents we are, we agreed to take J and his friends to a local amusement park for a H*lloween even. We went foolishly telling ourselves it would be date night for us while they behaved like model citizens and didn't require constant supervision.
Ultra-cool? Yes. Smart? Obviously not.
What can one say about 12 year old boys and girls that hasn't already been said? OH MY GOD! For starters they don't shut up. Non-stop talking which is completely comical and totally annoying at the same time. I am sure that I talked a lot at that age but given that I was sort of the moody, introverted kinda girl I am not sure it was as much as these kids talked between the time we picked them up and the time we got to the park.
We realized quickly on that drive that these kids required supervision. Then we realized in the line to buy tickets that their parents didn't send them with enough money and we were not only babysitting we were footing a lot of the overpriced bill.
So we walked with them at the hyper-pace of 3 12 year old boys and 1 12 year old girl. We stood outside the rides as they rode catering to their random whims and rowdy over the top exaggeration of everything.
Then, they met up with others of their kind.
Holy hell. I think I am going to suck at being a mom. The odd little girl who was with us started to bitch and pout about the new arrival of girls. She kept saying she wanted just the original 4 and the others to go away. Then she said she doesn't get any attention when they are around unless she pouts. My mom skills went a little something like this..."don't pout, go enjoy yourself. Have fun." She walked away and not soon after 3 of the other girls were crying.
Now, I am not saying that odd little girl made those other girls cry, because really, they are 12 and they could be crying over just about anything but instinct tells me that odd little girl was a little bit of a problem causer. And I would know.
So, yet another taste of parenthood, just not the kind that I need right now. They didn't require bottles or diapers or proper sleep positioning...they required a whole different set of supplies that I am totally not equipped with. Maybe I will figure it out by the time Biscuit is 12.
No comments:
Post a Comment